A young boy saved his friend when she began choking....and the move he learned from his own dad may have saved her life.
An 11-year-old boy may have just saved his friend's life—and it's all thanks to his dad, who taught him what to do in this emergency situation.
According to a report from WMUR, middle school student Jack Mongeau was in science class when his classmate, Bella Moran, started choking on a lollipop. The kid showed incredible bravery and some seriously quick thinking skills: When he noticed the girl seemed to be saying "help me," he stepped up and gave her the Heimlich maneuver. The method worked: After he pushed on her stomach a few times, the lodged lollipop came out, and Moran was fine.
RELATED: First Aid for Choking
How did this 11-year-old know how to handle such a scary situation? You can thank his dad, a licensed nurse's aide who decided to teach his son how to execute the maneuver.
While we considered this kid's moves to be pretty heroic, he insisted he doesn't see himself as a hero. "I asked him...'are you going to say you're a hero?' And he says 'there's policemen and firemen [and soldiers] that do this every day.' He's just an 11-year-old who jumped when he had to," Steve Mongeau told WMUR of his son, who has dreamed of becoming a state trooper for years.
For the girl he saved, this boy's actions came from a really sweet place. “I knew he would help me," she said. "Because he's my best friend."