The USDA Just Recalled 32,000 Pounds of Chicken—Here's What You Need to Know
The recall is classified as Class I, which is the highest-risk category.
June 4, 2019
The USDA just announced that Perdue Foods is recalling approximately 31,703 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken products—including chicken nuggets, strips, and tenders—found in both the refrigerator and freezer sections of nationwide grocery stores. The chicken products reportedly house extraneous materials, which means they still contain bits of bones from animals.
The recall in question is classified as a Class I recall, which is the highest-risk category. According to the USDA website, Class I means that “this is a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”
The Food Safety and Inspection Service sector of the USDA discovered the dangerous Perdue chicken products after they received multiple complaints from consumers. Luckily, there have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these foods. FSIS is highly concerned, however, that many of the recalled chicken products are still being stored in consumers’ freezers. If you’re a Perdue chicken shopper, we highly recommend you do a quick freezer check (referencing the label information below) to make sure you don’t accidentally eat the dangerous meat. If you have purchased any of the below products, they should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase immediately.
The fully cooked chicken products were produced on March 21, 2019. The following products are subject to recall:
- 11.2 oz. plastic trays containing “PERDUE Simply Smart ORGANICS BREADED CHICKEN BREAST TENDERS – GLUTEN FREE” with a “USE BY MAY 20 2019” and UPC bar code of 072745-001437 on the label.
- 12 oz. plastic trays containing “PERDUE Simply Smart ORGANICS BREADED CHICKEN BREAST NUGGETS – WHOLE GRAIN” with a “USE BY MAY 20 2019” and UPC bar code of 072745-001642 on the label.
- 12 oz. plastic trays containing “PERDUE Simply Smart ORGANICS BREADED CHICKEN BREAST STRIPS – WHOLE GRAIN” with a “USE BY MAY 20 2019” and UPC bar code of 072745-002656 on the label.
- 10-lb. bulk boxes of “Chef Quik Breaded Chicken Tenders Boneless Tender Shaped Chicken Breast Patties with Rib Meat” with Case Code 22143 on the label.
- 10-lb. bulk boxes of “Chef Quik Chicken Breast Strips Strip Shaped Breaded Chicken Breast Patties with Rib Meat” with Case Code 77265 on the label.
Anyone concerned about an injury or illness related to this recall should contact a healthcare provider right away. Consumers with questions regarding the products should call the Perdue Consumer Care line at (866) 866-3703. If you’d like more information on what to do if you have recalled food at home, check out our handy guide here.