Disney Is Launching a New Streaming Service to Rival Netflix
Disney is removing their movies from Netflix and launching their own service that includes Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars.
If you love queuing up Disney movies on Netflix, plan your next Disney marathon as soon as possible because most Disney movies will be leaving Netflix in 2019. Disney is launching their own streaming service titled Disney+ which means you’ll need a subscription to keep watching your favorite new and classic Disney movies.
The streaming service isn’t limited to classic Disney films, which may give consumers more incentive to subscribe. The Disney+ site advertises Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic brands. Disney hasn’t announced an official start date, but you can subscribe to updates on the Disney+ site so you’ll be first to know when the service becomes available. There’s no word on the exact price of the new service, although Variety reported that Disney chairman-CEO Bob Iger stated the cost of Disney+ will be less than Netflix’s $8-$14 monthly fee.
In 2016, Disney entered into a contract with Netflix that allowed Netflix to stream titles like Finding Dory, Moana, and Beauty and the Beast. You can still watch most of these Disney movies on Netflix, but they’ll all be removed by the end of 2019. The site What’s on Netflix published a full list of all Disney movies that will be removed, along with their removal dates so you can make sure to re-watch them before they’re gone. Only newer movies are included on the list right now, and there’s no official word from Disney on whether they’ll allow older movies to stay on Netflix.
New Movies and Shows Included in Disney+
- Disney movies, starting with Dumbo, (Coming March 2019)
- Pixar movies, starting with Toy Story 4 (Coming June 2019)
- Marvel movies, starting with Captain Marvel (Coming March 2019)
- Animated series based on Monsters Inc.
- Star Wars movies, starting with Episode 9 (Coming December 2019)
- Live-action Marvel series about Avengers character Loki
- Live-action Star Wars TV series called The Mandalorian
- Star Wars Rogue One prequel TV series
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars new series
- Documentary about Walt Disney Imagineering
- Remake of The Sword in the Stone
- The High School Musical franchise
- Live-action Lady and the Tramp remake
Netflix Movies Leaving in 2019
- The Finest Hours
- The Jungle Book
- Alice Through the Looking Glass
- Finding Dory
- Pete’s Dragon
- The BFG
- Queen of Katwe
- Beauty and the Beast
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- Cars 3
- A Wrinkle in Time
- Magic Camp
- The Incredibles 2
- Captain America: Civil War
- Doctor Strange
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
- Thor: Ragnorok
- Star Wars: Rogue One
- Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi