6 Apple Varieties Recalled in Multiple States Over Listeria Concerns
North Bay Produce is recalling multiple apple varieties—including Honeycrisp and Fuji—that were distributed around the U.S.
Michigan-based North Bay Produce is issuing a voluntary recall for McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Jonathan, Fuji, Jonamac and Red Delicious apples due to concerns over potential Listeria contamination. The apples under recall were shipped between October 16 and 21 of this year to Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin.
- RELATED: Chicken Products Recalled at Trader Joe's Aldi, Target and More for Possible Listeria Contamination
Apples purchased prior to October 16 are not at risk, and no related illnesses have been reported to date. The following apples are being recalled, below:
- McIntosh Great Lakes 3-pound plastic bag, Product of MIUSA, delivered to Michigan and Louisiana between Oct. 19-21 with UPC code 8 13635 01012 8.
- Jonathan Great Lakes 3-pound plastic bag, Product of MI-USA, delivered to Louisiana on Oct. 21 with UPC code 8 13635 01017 3.
- Honeycrisp Great Lakes 3-pound plastic bag, Product of MI, delivered to Louisiana on Oct. 21 with UPC code 8 13635 01018 0.
- Jonamac Great Lakes 3-pound plastic bag, Product of MIUSA, delivered to Wisconsin on Oct. 16 with UPC code 8 13635 01019 7.
- McIntosh North Bay Pure Michigan 3-pound plastic bag, Product of MI-USA, delivered in Michigan on Oct. 21 with UPC code 8 13635 01012 8.
- Honeycrisp North Bay Pure Michigan 2-pound plastic bag, Product of MI-USA, delivered in Michigan on Oct. 19 with UPC code 8 13635 01130 9.
- Honeycrisp quarter peck paper tote bag, Product of MIUSA, delivered in Michigan on Oct. 19 with item number 700116.
- Fuji half peck plastic tote bags, Product of MI-USA, delivered to All Thyme Fresh Market stores on Oct. 18 with PLU number 4195.
- Jonathan bulk 600-pound corrugated bins, Product of MI-USA, delivered in Michigan on Oct. 16.
- McIntosh distributed in trays, Product of MI-USA, not sold in retail, delivered on Oct. 19 and 21 with PLU number 4019.
- Red Delicious distributed in trays; sold individually for retail sale, Product of MI-USA, delivered to North Carolina Department of Agriculture, Food Distribution Division – Butner, in Creedmoor, N.C., and Feeding South Florida Pembroke Park, Fla., on Oct. 21 with PLU numbers 4168 and 4167.
- RELATED: How to Prevent Foodborne Illnesses
Listeriosis is a serious infection that is typically caused by consuming food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Symptoms include fever, severe headaches, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain and stiffness. If you think you have consumed one of the products listed above or are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should contact your doctor.
Those who have bought apples affected by the recall are encouraged to return them to the place of purchase or discard them immediately. Consumers with questions can call 1-231-929-4001, Monday-Friday, 8am – 5pm Eastern Time, or visit www.northbayproduce.com.