Good old-fashioned s’mores are classic for a reason. Graham crackers, milk chocolate, and toasted marshmallows combine for a summer treat that can’t be beat, especially on August 10th, a.k.a. National S'mores Day.
But, sometimes we want to mix it up a little, right? We yearn to break free from the little boxes we put ourselves into (those sweet little s’mores boxes) and branch out. Today, be bold, and show the kids that sometimes a bit of experimentation can reap big, sweet, delicious rewards.
7 Ways to Shake Up Your S’mores
1. Frost a yellow cupcake with chocolate frosting. Top with a marshmallow you toasted under the broiler and sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
2. Replace the chocolate squares with Nutella or peanut butter… or both.
3. Make Double-Decker S’more Brownies:
4. Swap out the graham crackers for thin and crispy chocolate chip cookies or your favorite variety of Brownie Brittle.
5. Whip up a s’mores milkshake. Combine chocolate or vanilla ice cream, milk, and a graham cracker in blender. Top with marshmallows you toasted under the broiler, chocolate syrup, and graham cracker crumbs.
6. Slip strawberry or banana slices into the graham cracker sandwich.
7. Assemble S’mores pops with this recipe from Hershey’s. Prepare to win Mom of the Year award.
Lollipop sticks or skewers
Crushed graham crackers
HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Bars
1. Push one stick through each marshmallow. Place the graham cracker crumbs on a plate.
2. Heat chocolate in microwave for 20 seconds. Remove the bowl and stir chocolate. Repeat 20 second heat-and-stir process until fully melted.
3. Quickly dip each pop in the chocolate then roll in crushed crackers. Place on parchment paper and allow to cool.
So pick a project (or two) and treat this great day with the respect and reverence it deserves. Enjoy!