Cute and Easy Cupcakes that Look Like Apples
No apples were harmed in the making of these cupcakes.
These faux apple cupcakes are a perfect classroom treat and clever enough to send you to the head of the class. Any flavor cupcake will work for this recipe - start by making a batch of your favorites using red cupcake wrappers to line the pan. Allow the cupcakes to cool then decorate according to the directions below.
Need a frosting recipe? Check out our buttercream frosting.
What you'll need:
- Red frosting (Tip: To naturally dye your frosting, try using beet juice.)
- Red sugar sprinkles
- Tootsie roll midgees
- Green tootsie fruit rolls
To assemble the cupcakes:
- Frost the cupcakes then coat each in red sugar sprinkles.
- Mold a small piece of a tootsie roll midgee into a stem shape. (If necessary, warm the midgee in a microwave for a few seconds to make it softer.)
- Form a leaf from a small piece of green tootsie fruit roll and pinch it against the stem.
- Repeat for the other leaves and stems.
- Insert the stems into the cupcakes.