We Love This Mouthwatering Instant-Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Thanks to your electric pressure cooker, this hearty, family-friendly chicken dinner can be on the table in minutes.
Serve this Italian classic with bread for sopping up the delicious sauce or on top of rice or pasta. If you prefer, swap out the red wine for chicken broth.
Saute / Manual
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more if necessary
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
4 bone-in chicken breasts, halved crosswise (about 3 pounds, or 1.4 kg)
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
¼ inch thick
½ cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
8 sprigs fresh thyme
1 can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
Crusty bread, for serving
1. Turn the Instant Pot® on to [Sauté]. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with the salt and pepper. Add half the chicken, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown and crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken, adding more olive oil to the pot, if necessary.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Add the carrot and wine, and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot, for 1 minute. Add the thyme and tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you add them to the pot. Add the mushrooms and mix to combine. Press [Cancel].
5. Arrange the chicken on top of the tomato mixture. Lock the lid. Press [Manual] and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use the “Quick Release” method to vent the steam, then open the lid.
6. Serve the chicken and vegetables sprinkled with parsley.
From Instant Pot® Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Sara Quessenberry & Kate Merker, © 2017 by Quarto Publishing Group. Used by permission from the publisher, Race Point Publishing, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group. QuartoKnows.com