Chill out on a hot summer day with one of these groovy frozen desserts.
No time for homemade ade? Try Newman's Own, which has a great balance of sweet and tart.
Yield: 12 pops
1/3 cup Simple Syrup
2 cups water
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 or 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
1. Prepare Simple Syrup (page 5) according to directions.
2. In pitcher, combine syrup, water, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Stir in food coloring, if using. Fill pop molds, paper cups, or muffin pans to 1/2" from top. Insert wooden pop or plastic stick into each mold, and freeze at least 3 hours, or until frozen through.
Made for the shade, our fruit-filled treats are healthy and refreshing.
Yield: 6 servings
1/4 cup Simple Syrup
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
Assorted sprinkles (optional)
1. Prepare Simple Syrup according to directions on page 5.
2. In blender, combine strawberries with syrup and process until smooth. Transfer to large bowl, and stir in yogurt until well combined.
3. Divide mixture among fluted tart molds. Insert wooden pop stick into each mold. Freeze 3 hours, or until frozen through. Just before serving, roll um- brellas in sprinkles, if using.
This zesty orange ice tastes so good, it's addictive.
Yield: 6 servings
3 cups orange juice
3/4 cup cranberry juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2/3 cup Simple Syrup
2 tsp. grated orange peel
1. Combine all ingredients except cherries in large bowl. Pour into 90 metal baking pan. Cover and freeze 2 hours, or until partially frozen. Stir with fork to break up chunks. Cover and freeze until completely frozen, about 3 hours.
2. To serve, let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Scrape across surface with metal spoon, transferring slush to serving dishes. Top with cherries.
Homemade brownies add something special to chocolate-and-vanilla ice-cream sandwiches.
Yield: 15 sandwiches
1 box (19.8 oz.) brownie mix
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 container (1/2 gallon) Breyers Vanilla & Chocolate Checks ice cream
1. Line jelly-roll (11"x15") baking pan with foil, and spray with vegetable cooking spray. Prepare mix, following directions for cakelike brownies; bake in jelly-roll pan for 30 minutes.
2. Once brownies are completely cooled, cut into squares, three rows lengthwise by five rows crosswise. Cut squares in half diagonally. Remove packaging from ice cream, and cut into 1/2"-thick slices. Cut triangles of ice cream to fit brownies. Sandwich together and serve.
In small saucepan, combine and simmer 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar until sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes. Set saucepan in bowl of ice water until syrup is cool. Makes 1 1/3 cups.
Shape Sorter:You can freeze desserts in containers of all shapes and sizes. For desserts, we used a store-bought ice-cube mold. But you can use what you've already got in your kitchen: plastic egg cartons, candy molds, paper cones, small Tupperware containers, even mini pie tins.
Note: To help sticks stay in place, cut cardboard squares 1/2" larger than molds. Cut small slit in cardboard to hold pop stick, then push stick through.