Sweet Potato Patties
Sweet Potato Patties
Far from being plain old pancakes, our patties are filled with flavor, thanks to the addition of green onions and pecans. In fact, we challenge you to eat just one! Preparing a batch offers lots of opportunity for littler hands--from mashing and molding each round to stirring up the yogurt dipping sauce. The patties' small size makes them perfect for sharing as a special afternoon snack or pairing with a simple salad for a light meal.
Make the Dipping Sauce
1. In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Cover and refrigerate the sauce until serving time.
Prep the Potatoes
2. Peel the potatoes and chop them into large chunks. Place them in a large saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Drain them in a colander and let any excess water evaporate, about 5 minutes.
Make the Patties
3. Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl and mash them until they're smooth. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until well blended.
4. Shape the mixture into patties (we used 2 tablespoons for each, yielding 16). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
Fry 'Em Up!
5. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil and warm it over medium-high heat. Fry the patties in batches until well browned, about 3 minutes per side, adding more oil as needed. Transfer the patties to the prepared sheet.
Ready to Serve
Tip: Keep the patties in a 200° oven until all are done. Serve the patties warm with the dipping sauce.
Nice and Toasty Pecans
Taking a few extra minutes to toast the pecans will enhance their flavor. Simply spread the nuts on a baking sheet and bake them at 350° until lightly browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. You can also toast the pecans on the stove top, although the browning may be less uniform. Place the nuts in a heavy skillet over medium heat and stir them constantly until they're toasted.
Originally published in the March 2013 issue of FamilyFun