Kids can customize these Asian-inspired shrimp roll-ups with their favorite combination of fresh veggies.
Noodle Salad Rolls
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 rolls
For the filling: 2 tablespoons rice vinegar; 2 tablespoons warm water; 11/2 teaspoons sugar; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1 clove garlic, minced 3 ounces rice vermicelli, cooked and drained 8 (8- to 10-inch); rice paper wrappers; Veggies (such as lettuce, scallions, carrot, sprouts, cucumber, and avocado) torn or cut into thin pieces; 12 large shrimp, cooked and halved lengthwise; 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or mint leaves
For the dipping sauce: 1/4 cup warm water; 3 tablespoons fish sauce; 3 tablespoons rice vinegar; 2 tablespoons sugar; 1 clove garlic; 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the first five filling ingredients. Add the rice vermicelli and toss to coat.
2. Around a clean, dry cutting board, arrange separate bowls of the vermicelli mixture and the remaining filling ingredients, with a pie plate of warm water and a plate for the finished rolls.
3. Dip a wrapper in the water for a few seconds, then lay it on the board. Pile one-eighth of the noodles and a few tablespoons of veggies in the center of the wrapper (leave a 1- to 2-inch border along the sides for folding). Add three pieces of shrimp and a few sprigs of cilantro or mint.
4. Fold in the sides of the wrapper, then fold the bottom up over the filling. Roll the wrapper from the bottom up. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make seven more rolls.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce until the sugar dissolves. Serve it on the side.
- Wash and trim the veggies and herbs
- Roll up the wraps
- Prep the sauce