Easy Pizza Dough
A food processor takes the effort out of making this perennial kid favorite.
Easy-as-Pie Pizza Dough
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes (includes rising time)
Makes: Dough for two large pizzas
- Pour 1 teaspoon of the olive oil into a large bowl and set it aside. In a large liquid measuring cup, stir the sugar into the water until it's dissolved. Add the yeast, stir, then set the mixture aside until it begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the remaining olive oil into the yeast mixture. Place the flour and salt in a food processor and pulse several times to mix. With the machine running, pour in the yeast mixture through the feed tube. When the ingredients pull together into a ball, let the machine mix for 15 seconds more.
- Flour your hands and a work surface, then turn the dough out and knead it for 30 seconds. Place the dough in the prepared bowl and turn it to coat it with the oil. Cover the bowl and set it aside in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size, about one hour.
- To make a pizza, heat the oven to 425°. Sprinkle a large baking sheet with cornmeal. Punch down the dough, halve it, and roll each portion into a ball. Let them rest 10 minutes, then flatten and roll one ball into a 12- by 16-inch rectangle. (The other portion can be frozen for up to one month.) Transfer the dough to the prepared sheet, add toppings, and bake until the dough is lightly browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.
Chicken, Bacon, and Parm Pizza
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook 6 bacon strips until crisp, flipping occasionally, about 7 minutes. Place on paper towels to drain. Spoon out all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan and add 2 cups sliced onion. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Spread 1 cup pizza sauce onto the dough placed on the prepared baking sheet. Crumble the bacon and scatter it, with the onion and 1 1/4 cups chopped cooked chicken, on top. Sprinkle on 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella; bake. Top with 3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan and a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley, then cut into eight slices and serve.
- Measure and mix ingredients
- Roll out the dough
- Add the toppings