Homemade bread gives the final touch to any dinner, and these yummy whole wheat yeast rolls are no exception. Flax seeds give this recipe a nutritional boost.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water and honey. Stir yeast into the water mixture and let stand until foamy, about 7 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place 3 tablespoons of the flax seeds in a mini chopper or spice grinder. Grind until medium-fine. Transfer to a large bowl and add all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Whisk to blend, then make a well in the center of the mixture.
3. In a small bowl, stir together milk, olive oil and salt. Pour into well of flour mixture, along with yeast mixture. Stir until dough comes together. Knead until smooth, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp, clean towel and allow to rise 45 minutes. Punch down dough, then knead lightly. Divide into 16 pieces, then roll each into ball, tucking any seams under. Place on a large nonstick baking sheet and cover with damp towel. Let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 375 degrees . Uncover dough, brush rolls with egg white, then sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon flax seeds. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, until lightly browned and hollow-sounding when tapped lightly. Serve warm.