1. Heat oven to 400 degree F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. With a fork or the tips of your fingers work the soft butter into the dry ingredients until the texture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. In a small bowl combine the buttermilk with the egg. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour along with the raisins. Stir with a fork until the mixture begins to hold together.
4. Turn the mixture onto a floured work surface and knead until the dough comes together and is still lumpy. Over kneading will result in a tough bread.
5. Pat the dough into a round loaf about 6 inches wide. Place the bread on the prepared baking sheet. Cut a cross on top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes. Bread should be golden brown. Insert toothpick to ensure that the bread is done. Toothpick should come out clean. If the bread starts to get too brown, loosely cover with foil. When the bread is done brush with the melted butter. Cool before slicing.