Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Slow Cook 6 hrs on HIGH or LOW for 8 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 beef chuck roast, about 3 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 3 x 1/2-inch thick sticks
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, each about 1 inch in diameter, quartered
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 3 x 1/2-inch-thick sticks
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place onion and garlic in slow cooker. Season beef with salt and pepper; place over onions. Arrange carrots, potatoes and celery around beef, in that order. Combine broth, tomato paste and thyme; pour over beef. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the Worcestershire sauce over top.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
4. Remove beef from slow cooker and place on a serving platter. Spoon out vegetables with a slotted spoon and place around roast. Keep warm.
5. Strain cooking liquid into a medium-size saucepan; skim off excess fat. Bring to a simmer. Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water and stir into saucepan. Simmer for 1 minute until thickened. Stir in remaining tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
6. Slice beef and serve with vegetables and gravy.
Variation Stroganoff-Style Pot Roast
- Replace carrots, potatoes and celery with 3 cups sliced mushrooms and tomato paste with 1 tablespoon mustard. Eliminate Worcestershire sauce. Stir 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 tablespoons parsley into sauce. Cut roast into 2-inch pieces. Serve with cooked egg noodles and peas.
- Try a Mexican spin by subbing 1 chopped green pepper for carrots, potatoes and celery; add 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes in place of broth and tomato paste. Eliminate thyme and Worcestershire sauce; add 1 teaspoon each ancho chile powder, cumin and dried oregano. Shred beef into sauce and stir in a 10-ounce package thawed frozen corn and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro. Serve with corn tortillas.
- Switch out carrots, potatoes and celery with 2 cups sliced mushrooms and 2 sliced scallions. Substitute 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee and 2 teaspoons liquid smoke for broth and tomato paste. Use chili powder in place of thyme and eliminate Worcestershire sauce. Serve with cooked rice and a green vegetable.
- Eliminate carrots, potatoes and celery; reduce broth to 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar. In place of tomato paste and Worcestershire add 3 tablespoons sugar. Serve with mashed potatoes and red cabbage.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 304, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 72, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 20, fiber (g): 2, pro. (g): 38, sodium (mg): 337, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.