Soak overnight Prep 20 mins Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup spelt (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 links (3 oz each) sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and sliced carrots (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and sliced parsnips (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Soak spelt in cold water overnight. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large lidded pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until browned. Stir in butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, onion, garlic and thyme. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, 1 cup water and spelt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until spelt is tender. Stir in salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 277, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 12, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 41, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 11, sodium (mg): 623, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.