Yield: 4 sandwiches Active Time 15 mins Total Time 45 mins
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (about 1 cup), diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 4 potato buns
- Pasta salad, for serving
1. Place lentils in a pot and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Cook onion, celery, and bell pepper until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients and lentils. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
3. Toast buns cut-side up in the oven. Assemble sandwiches, and serve immediately with pasta salad.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 512, Fat, total (g): 10, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 87, fiber (g): 11, sugar (g): 20, pro. (g): 21, sodium (mg): 1198, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.