Servings: 4 to 6 Yield: servings
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut into small dice
- 1 red pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 green pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (15.5 oz each) beans (chickpeas, black or kidney), with about half the liquid drained
1. Place oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, red and green peppers, jalapeno, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook, covered, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and tomato paste. Mix well.
3. Add tomatoes and 6 oz water. Simmer about 20 minutes, until thick.
4. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and tomato paste. Mix well.