- 1 large loaf unsliced Italian bread (about 16 inches long)
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch arugula, thoroughly rinsed, tough stems removed
- 1 12 ounce jar roasted peppers, well drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-size cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1. Cut loaf in half lengthwise; scoop out some bread from both halves to make a shallow boat the length of each half. Rub cut surfaces of bread with garlic.
2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in small bowl.
3. Place arugula leaves over bottom half of bread. Top with roasted pepper, onion and cucumber. Arrange sprouts over top. Drizzle with vinegar mixture.
4. Replace top half of bread and press down gently.
5. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Then unwrap and carefully cut crosswise into 8 equal pieces. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 156, Fat, total (g): 5, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 24, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 4, sodium (mg): 348, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.