Servings: 6 to 8 Prep 40 mins Soak 1 hr Slow Cook 8 hrs on low-heat setting or 4 hours on high-heat setting
- 1/2 pound dried cannellini beans, picked and rinsed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ounces dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant (about 2 small), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce with Italian seasonings
- 2 tablespoons purchased basil pesto
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Cooked pasta or grain such as brown rice, bulgur wheat, couscous, quinoa (optional)
1. Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine dry beans with 4 cups cold water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans in 4 cups of cold water in saucepan. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
2. Place beans in a 4-quart slow cooker along with carrots, onion, garlic, dried tomatoes, eggplant, tomato sauce, pesto, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and vegetable broth. Stir together. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 hours. Stir in the fresh thyme and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley before serving. If desired, serve with cooked pasta or grain.
Tip For Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 275, Fat, total (g): 4, chol. (mg): 4, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 50, Monounsaturated fat (g): , Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 18, sugar (g): 13, pro. (g): 15, vit. A (IU): 5636, vit. C (mg): 22, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 198, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 916, Potassium (mg): 1431, calcium (mg): 141, iron (mg): 6, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.