Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 2 hrs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 beef brisket (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 jalapeno peppers, halved, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (13-3/4 ounces) beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lime wedges, for garnish
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven. Working in batches, saute brisket over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate.
2. Add onion, jalapeno pepper and garlic to drippings in pot; cook over medium-low heat until very tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and ground red pepper; cook 1 minute. Return meat to pot. Stir in tomatoes, broth, beer and bay leaf. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cook on hard simmer, with cover slightly ajar, until meat is tender, about 11/2 hours. For last 20 minutes, uncover to thicken chili. Prepare Avocado Relish:
3. Combine avocado, red onion, lime juice and salt in small bowl.
4. To serve, ladle chili into bowls. Top each serving with some Avocado Relish. Garnish with lime wedges. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 334, Fat, total (g): 17, chol. (mg): 84, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 16, pro. (g): 30, sodium (mg): 712, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.