Jalapeno peppers and pimento add the spice to this delicious corn bread recipe that doubles as both an appetizer and side dish.
1. Heat oven to 450 degree F. Place an 8-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet in oven to heat.
2. Cut kernels off corn and set aside; you should have about 1-1/2 cup kernels.
3. In a medium-size bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. In a large measuring cup, combine milk, buttermilk, butter and egg; add to flour mixture and stir until just blended. Fold in corn, pimiento, jalapeno and cayenne and stir until evenly distributed.
5. Using a hot pad, remove skillet from oven and coat generously with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into skillet and spread to edges of pan.
6. Bake at 450 degree F for about 20 minutes or until top is golden and slightly cracked.
7. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully slide cornbread out of skillet and cut into 8 wedges. Serve warm.