1. In medium-size nonaluminum saucepan, cook bacon over medium-low heat until fat is released, 5 minutes; do not let brown. Add shallots; cover pan and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add wine, broth, thyme and bay leaf; boil, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
2. Strain liquid through fine-mesh sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return liquid to saucepan. Gradually whisk in butter.Fish and Vegetables:
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large pot of boiling water, cook cabbage just until tender, 3 minutes. Drain in large colander; rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
4. Season fish with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place in shallow baking dish. Gently heat red wine reduction. Pour over fish.
5. Bake in 350 degree F oven until fish flakes when tested with fork, 12 to 14 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in medium-size skillet, cook diced bacon over medium heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fat is rendered. Add cabbage, onions and 1/2 cup chicken broth; heat through, 3 minutes. Season with remaining salt, pepper. Add parsley.
7. Spoon 2 to 4 tablespoons cooking liquid in each of 4 serving bowls. Top with vegetables, then fish. Makes 4 servings.