Salty prosciutto, sweet peas, and Asiago cheese make flavorful additions to the basic recipe for risotto. Serve it in bowls as a main dish.
1. In large pot, bring chicken broth to a simmer.
2. In large, heavy-bottom pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes. Add garlic; saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add rice to onion, stirring to evenly coat with the oil; cook for 1 minute. Add wine and salt; cook, stirring constantly, until all the wine is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
4. Add 2 cups of the simmering broth to the rice. Stir over medium-high heat until all the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes; the mixture should remain at a low boil. Add the remaining broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until all the broth is absorbed before adding the next 1 cup broth. All the broth should be absorbed after about 25 to 30 minutes of total cooking time. The mixture should be thick and creamy and the rice tender.
5. Remove 4 cups of the warm risotto and transfer to a large bowl. Cover the pot with the remaining risotto and remove from heat. With rice in bowl, quickly proceed with steps 1 and 2 of Tex-Mex Risotto Cakes with Yogurt-Cilantro Sauce (see recipe www.familycircle.com).Risotto with Peas and Prosciutto:
6. Into remaining risotto in pot, gently stir peas, prosciutto, oregano, Asiago and nutmeg. Serve risotto immediately with slices of crusty bread and green salad. Makes 6 servings.