Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 30 mins
- 3 Italian eggplants (about 3/4 pound total) OR: 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 3/4 teaspoon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 small red onions, quartered and broken apart into pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash (about 8 ounces), quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch lengths)
- 1 10 ounce package large white mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 plum tomatoes (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
1. Season eggplant with the 1/8 teaspoon salt.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add eggplant; cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the saucepan to a large plate.
3. Lower the heat to medium. Add the remaining tablespoon oil to saucepan and heat. Add the sweet pepper and onion; cook, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the squash, mushrooms, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and the black pepper; cook 5 minutes, raising heat slightly, if necessary.
4. Return eggplant to pan, along with tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano and red wine; simmer, stirring, 3 minutes. Cover pan loosely with foil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables reach desired tenderness. Stir, then serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 130, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 16, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 3, sodium (mg): 576, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.