Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Cook 5 mins to 6 mins Stand 5 mins
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, red, yellow or a mix (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup uncooked plain couscous
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
1. Cut tops off tomatoes and reserve. Gently squeeze out seeds and discard. Scoop out most of the pulp using a melon baller or spoon and reserve 1 cup. Place tomatoes, cut side down, on a paper-towel-lined baking sheet; allow to drain.
2. In a medium-size saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until softened. Add broth, chickpeas, raisins, paprika, salt, cumin, pepper and turmeric. Chop reserved tomato pulp; add to pan. Bring to a boil. Stir in honey.
3. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. Fluff couscous filling with a fork. Divide filling among tomatoes. Top with toasted almonds, replace tomato tops and serve.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 332, Fat, total (g): 8, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 59, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 10, sodium (mg): 736, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.