1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large saucepan, cover yams with water and boil until pierced by a fork but still firm, about 12 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Peel and slice widthwise into 1/4-inch rounds.
3. Meanwhile, peel, core and slice apples into 1/4-inch rings. In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish, stand apples and yams alternately on their sides.
4. In a small saucepan, combine butter, honey and cider and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Pour over the yam mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and baste. Continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, basting frequently. Turn on broiler and broil for last 5 minutes. Serve hot or warm.