When making this tasty side-dish recipe, keep the eggplant and tomato in a single layer, so every slice is topped with heavy cream and Fontina cheese.
1. Place sliced tomatoes on paper toweling; sprinkle with salt. Place paper toweling on top. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat top of tomatoes to remove as much liquid as possible.
2. Prepare outdoor grill with medium-hot coals, or heat gas grill to medium-hot, or heat oven broiler.
3. Coat eggplant on both sides with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Grill eggplant slices 6 inches from coals, or broil on baking sheet coated with cooking spray, 6 inches from heat, 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Coat large, shallow oval baking dish (about 15 x 10 inches) with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange eggplant and tomato slices, alternating, around and slightly up sides of baking dish. Avoid overlapping too much; try to keep in single layer. Place a few down center of dish. Sprinkle with oregano, basil and garlic. Pour heavy cream over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil.
7. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 45 minutes, until bubbly. Remove foil. Bake 10 minutes, until cheese is golden. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.