Makes: 6 servings at $1.22 each. Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cook: 38 minutes. Bake: at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Broil: 4 to 5 minutes.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; saute until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper; simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until thickened.
2. Meanwhile, divide the eggplant slices among 3 paper towel-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with remaining 2 teaspoons salt; this removes excess moisture from eggplant. Let the eggplant slices stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then pat the eggplant slices dry with the paper towels to remove salt and any excess moisture on surface of eggplant.
3. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Pour 1/4 cup olive oil into glass measure. Brush 3 baking sheets with some of the oil. Place eggplant slices in single layer on oiled baking sheets (work in batches, if necessary). With remaining oil in glass measure, brush eggplant slices. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Cover with foil.
5. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven.
6. Increase the oven temperature to broil.
7. Remove the bay leaf from the tomato sauce and discard. Divide the tomato sauce over the eggplant slices, about 1 tablespoon each; spread evenly. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, dividing equally. Drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, dividing evenly.
8. Broil 4 to 5 minutes or until tops of pizzas are lightly browned. Serve hot.