1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F if baking stuffing in dish.
2. If using fresh chestnuts, cut large X in flat side of each; place on baking sheet. (If using canned, omit Steps 2, 3 and proceed to Step 4.)
3. Bake fresh chestnuts in 350 degree F oven 25 minutes, until shells curl back. Let cool. Peel shell and dark membrane. Coarsely chop chestnuts.
4. Place chopped fresh or canned chestnuts in large bowl. Cook the onions and celery in oil in a large saucepan for 3 minutes. Add the apples; cook for about 2 minutes, until softened. Add to chestnuts in bowl. Add carrots, crackers, raisins, eggs, water, salt, sage, pepper. Spoon into 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover the dish with foil.
5. Bake in 350 degree F oven 45 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 15 minutes or until browned on top.