1. Place the bacon drippings or oil in 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Place in oven and preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Beat in buttermilk until well blended. Remove hot skillet from oven. Pour hot oil into cornmeal mixture, whisking until well combined. Pour batter into hot skillet (see Note, below).
3. Bake in 475 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Gently loosen corn bread from skillet; slide corn bread onto wire rack to cool. When corn bread is cool enough to handle, crumble in fine pieces and place in large bowl.Prepare Dressing:
4. Heat half of the butter in the same skillet over medium-low heat until melted and hot. Add the celery and onion; saute for 10 minutes until softened but not brown.
5. Add onion mixture, bread crumbs, sage, marjoram and thyme to corn bread; toss to mix well.
6. Beat eggs slightly in medium-size bowl. Beat in remaining melted butter and the pepper.
7. Pour egg mixture and broth over corn bread mixture; toss until well combined. Makes enough to stuff about a 14-pound turkey. Or spoon dressing into shallow 3-quart baking dish and bake in preheated 425 degrees F oven for 25 minutes or until heated through.