1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. Peel the potatoes and plunge them in a large bowl with cold water. Pat dry. Using the shredding disk on your food processor shred the potatoes and onions together. (Alternatively, you may use the large holes on a box grater.)
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and set aside.
4. Transfer a few handfuls of shredded potatoes and onions to a double-thickness of paper towels, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place in the bowl with the eggs. Repeat with remaining potatoes and onions. Stir in the matzoh meal and season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Heat a few glugs of oil in a large heavy skillet (you'll use about 1/4 cup oil at first, but you'll keep adding more) over medium-high heat. To see if the oil is ready, put in a pinch of potato mixture; it should sizzle and turn golden in 10 seconds. Using an ice cream scoop, drop the latke batter in the oil and flatten gently with a spatula. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
6. Transfer latkes to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle immediately with salt. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. Serve hot, with apple "smash" and sour cream on the side.
8. Recipe by Cheryl Sternman Rule