Servings: 9 Prep 15 mins Bake 425°F 15 mins to 20 mins
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon corn or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red-pepper sauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 sweet green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded, membrane removed and pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease 9 x 9 x 2-inch-square baking pan.
2. Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium-size bowl.
3. Stir together eggs, oil, red-pepper sauce, buttermilk, cheese, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and corn kernels in a small bowl. Stir into the cornmeal mixture just until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated 425 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly moist with crumbs attached. Cool corn bread in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 9; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 216, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): 55, carb. (g): 34, pro. (g): 8, sodium (mg): 730, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.