Servings: 4 Prep 15 mins Cook 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery with leaves
- 1/4 cup diced sweet green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each)tomatoes
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Creole- or Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat butter and olive oil in saucepan. Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, lemon slices and bay leaf. Simmer, covered, stirring, 30 minutes, until thickened.
3. Discard lemon and bay leaf. Puree sauce in processor or blender. Stir in Tabasco, salt, pepper. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftover several weeks. For Grilled Burgers:
4. Shape 1 pound ground beef into 4 patties. Grill or broil 10 minutes or until desired doneness; turn once; baste with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce last 5 minutes. Serve on toasted English muffins with lettuce, tomato, red onion. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 378, Fat, total (g): 15, chol. (mg): 79, carb. (g): 32, pro. (g): 27, sodium (mg): 390, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.