This classic veal recipe is appropriate for any company or special occasion meal. Marsala wine lends its rich smoky flavor to the mushrooms and onions creating an exquisite sauce for both the meat and noodles.
1. Place one cutlet on a sheet of parchment or waxed paper. Cover with a second sheet of paper, and pound cutlet to an even thickness with a mallet. Repeat with remaining cutlets.
2. Toss flour, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper on a sheet of parchment or waxed paper. Add one cutlet, turning to coat. Repeat with remaining cutlets. Reserve 2 teaspoons excess flour mixture.
3. Heat oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat just until sizzling. Add half of the cutlets and brown about 1 minute per side. Transfer cutlets to a plate; keep warm. Repeat with remaining cutlets, adding an additional tablespoon butter.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon butter. Stir in onions and cook 3 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms; cook another 3 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with reserved 2 teaspoons flour mixture. Stir to coat. Add marsala and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, stirring up browned bits from bottom of pan.
5. Add cutlets back to pan. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, 3 minutes, until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve over warm egg noodles.