This casserole recipe represents the best of home-style cooking. Ground veal in tomato sauce is layered with a mixture of egg noodles, yogurt, cottage cheese, and peas.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil 13 x 9 x 2-inch casserole. Bring pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Crumble in veal; cook until veal is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
3. Add crushed tomatoes and wine. Bring to boiling. Lower heat; simmer rapidly over medium heat until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Set meat sauce aside.
4. Add noodles to boiling water and stir. Cover; return to boiling; cook for 3 minutes. Drain; return to pot.
5. Add cottage cheese, yogurt and cornstarch to noodles in pot; stir to combine. Stir in peas, basil, salt and pepper.
6. Turn half the noodle mixture into prepared casserole. Spoon on half of meat sauce and spread evenly. Sprinkle with half the Cheddar cheese. Repeat layering.
7. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for about 35 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly on sides. Let stand about 15 minutes before serving.