Kids will love this gluten-free vanilla cake. Or better yet, try gluten-free cupcakes. This recipe originally appeared in 201 Gluten-Free Recipes for Kids.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line one 9-inch round baking pan with parchment paper or a muffin pan with cupcake liners spritzed with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Sift together the brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, coconut palm sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl whisk together almond milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until you have a thick batter. Fold in some chocolate chips, if desired. Pour batter into the greased cake pan or fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
4. Place on middle rack in preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes for cupcakes or 18-25 minutes for a single layer cake, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
5. Remove cake or cupcakes from oven and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling. Cool cake or cupcakes completely before frosting.