Servings: 8 Prep 30 mins Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided, plus more for the pan
- 10 medium turnips (about 5 pounds), trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. sugar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups soft whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-qt. baking dish.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the turnips and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and mash. You should have about 6 cups.
3. In a large bowl combine the turnips, 6 Tbs. melted butter, sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper, 1 cup bread crumbs, and the eggs. Mix well. Transfer to the baking dish. Top with the remaining bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining butter. Bake until the top is browned, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 243, Fat, total (g): 15, chol. (mg): 126, sat. fat (g): 9, carb. (g): 22, Monounsaturated fat (g): 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): 1, fiber (g): 4, sugar (g): 13, pro. (g): 6, vit. A (IU): 520, vit. C (mg): 48, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 52, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 695, Potassium (mg): 488, calcium (mg): 95, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.