Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Cook 40 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey OR: ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 package (.19 ounce) instant beef-flavored broth granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (19 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Accompaniments (optional): Cooked rice, sour cream, chopped scallion
1. Heat oil in 5-1/2-quart pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, green pepper and chili powder; saute for 10 minutes or until onion and green pepper are tender. Add turkey; cook for 6 minutes, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon.
2. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup, ground red pepper, packet of instant broth and salt; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add kidney beans; cook for 4 minutes or until heated through.
3. Serve with accompaniments if desired. Makes 8 servings.
4. Chili is always better with the extra punch of a tasty garnish, from scallions to sour cream. Try the easy-on-you guacamole recipe below.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 finely chopped, seeded jalapeno
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Make It Easy-On-you Guacamole:
1. Mash flesh from avocados in a bowl. Stir in red onion and lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and hot-pepper sauce. Refrigerate. Spoon a dollop on each chili serving.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 223, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): 51, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 20, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 16, sodium (mg): 806, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.