Chili is always a popular winter dish, and this hearty casserole recipe gives it a new look. To serve, scoop up a big spoonful of the cheesy cornbread topping along with the spicy chili for each guest.
1. Saute bacon in non-aluminum large pot 5 to 6 minutes or until crispy. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes or until almost cooked through. Add chili powder and cumin; cook 1 minute. Add beer, ketchup, oregano, salt, pepper and beans. Cover; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer over low heat 30 minutes. (See Tip.)
2. Pour chili into shallow 3-quart casserole or 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
3. Heat oven to 425 degrees.Topping:
4. Sift cornmeal, baking powder and salt into bowl. Whisk milk, egg and sugar in small bowl. Stir milk mixture into cornmeal mixture. Stir in cheese. Spoon dollops of mixture over warm chili. Sprinkle with pimiento and jalapeno.
5. Bake in 425 degree oven for 25 minutes or until top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.