Servings: 6 Prep 1 hr 10 mins Bake 400°F 3 hrs 20 mins Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
- 1 pound ground turkey or crumbled meat substitute (such as Boca Ground Burger)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen mixed pepper strips (half of a 16-ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle or regular chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 3-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, cook turkey or meatless ground meat 3 minutes. Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, frozen pepper strips, cumin, chili powder and garlic salt; simmer 4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese; spoon into prepared casserole. Topping:
4. In bowl, whisk egg, milk, biscuit mix and cornmeal until blended. Stir in remaining cheese; drop spoonfuls of cornmeal mixture on top of chili mixture. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until topping is golden. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 325, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): 99, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 36, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 25, sodium (mg): 890, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.