Servings: 4 Prep 5 mins Cook 30 mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces (about 3 to 4) hot Italian-style turkey sausage links, casing removed
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup packaged shredded carrots
- 1 package (10 ounces) spinach, cleaned, tough stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
1. Saute onion and garlic in oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until lightly colored, about 5 minutes. Crumble sausage into skillet; saute, breaking up large pieces with wood spoon, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
2. Add broth, water, barley and carrots to sausage mixture; cover; cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Remove cover. Carefully add chopped spinach; replace cover; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 232, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 35, sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 44, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 14, sodium (mg): 583, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.