Yield: 8 cups Active Time 15 mins Total Time 45 mins
- 2 28 ounce cans no salt added whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place tomatoes in a large bowl. Using kitchen scissors, cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. In a large pot, heat oil and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add onion. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the garlic, oregano, paprika, and dry mustard. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until garlic is browned and spices are fragrant.
3. Stir in tomatoes (including juices), broth, black pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly. Transfer soup to a blender or food processor; mix until smooth.
Variation Creamy Tomato
- Stir in 3/4 cup sour cream into tomato base. Heat over medium heat just until hot (do not boil).
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 201 calories, 4 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 9 g total sugar, 25% Vitamin A, 50% Vitamin C, 293 mg sodium, 14% calcium, 9% iron
- Tear 3 to 4 oz. hearty bread with crusts into 1-inch pieces (3 to 4 cups). In a large pot, combine the tomato soup base and bread cubes. Cook and stir over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves and crushed red pepper, to taste. Top with additional basil.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 194 calories, 5 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 9 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 9 g total sugar, 33% Vitamin A, 52% Vitamin C, 371 mg sodium, 14% calcium, 13% iron
Spaghetti and Meatball
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut three 6-inch corn tortillas into bite-size strips. Place half the strips on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. In a blender combine 2 cups of the soup base and remaining tortilla strips. Cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Stir in remaining tomato soup base; two 15 oz. cans reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained; and 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 6 sliced green onions. Top with baked tortilla strips and 1 avocado, sliced.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 329 calories, 12 g protein, 48 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 14 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 27% Vitamin A, 60% Vitamin C, 533 mg sodium, 20% calcium, 29% iron
- In a large pot, combine tomato soup base and 1 lb. cooked mini meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in 4 cups cooked broken pieces whole-grain spaghetti. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Nutrition analysis per serving: 456 calories, 20 g protein, 51 g carbohydrate, 19 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 24% Vitamin A, 49% Vitamin C, 791 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 20% iron
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 115, Fat, total (g): 6, chol. (mg): 8, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 12, Monounsaturated fat (g): 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 4, sugar (g): 6, pro. (g): 3, vit. A (IU): 871, vit. C (mg): 22, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): , Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 7, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 214, Potassium (mg): 441, calcium (mg): 88, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.