Servings: 4 Prep 15 mins Cook 16 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large sweet red and green peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 8 ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown and wild rice blend (such as RiceSelect Royal Blend)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion, jalapeno and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
2. Season tilapia with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Place fish in skillet and cover with sauce. Simmer, covered, for 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Sprinkle cilantro over top.
3. Serve with cooked rice. Squeeze a few lemon wedges over each serving.
Tip Power Plate
- When using reduced-sodium products such as tomato sauce, punch up the flavor with add-ins like hot peppers, fresh herbs and lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 455, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 82, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 51, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 38, sodium (mg): 611, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.