Servings: 4 Prep 40 mins Total Time 55 mins
- 1 cup coarsley chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Make It Tomato Salsa
1. In a medium bowl combine all the salsa ingredients. Toss to combine. Burgers
2. Heat the canola oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the red pepper and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds more. Set aside to cool.
3. Combine ground meat and pepper mixture. Shape into 4 even patties, about 1/2-inch thick. Lightly coat both sides of burgers with cooking spray.
4. Heat grill to medium. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium (160 degrees F), adding the cheese during the final 2 minutes of grilling. Serve the burgers on buns, topped with avocado, if using, and salsa.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 404, Fat, total (g): 19, sat. fat (g): 7, carb. (g): 27, fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 5, pro. (g): 30, sodium (mg): 587, calcium (mg): 156, iron (mg): 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.