For this holiday dessert, dried apricot puree is spread over a tart shell, topped with a fresh cranberry filling and pastry stars, and baked until the pastry is golden and the filling bubbly.
1. Roll the two-thirds portion pastry on lightly floured surface into 13-inch circle. Roll up on rolling pin; unroll into 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom; gently fit pastry into pan. Trim dough even with edge of pan; cover with damp paper toweling.
2. Roll remaining third of pastry into 10- to 11-inch circle. Using assorted sizes of star-shaped cookie cutters, cut out stars from dough. Cover with damp paper toweling.
3. Position oven rack in lower third of oven. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.Filling:
4. Combine apricots, water and orange rind in small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard rind; whirl apricots and liquid in food processor until smooth puree.
5. Combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice, tapioca and grated orange rind in large bowl.
6. Spread apricot puree over bottom of tart shell. Pour cranberry mixture into shell.Glaze:
7. Whisk together egg and water in small bowl. Lightly brush over stars; arrange stars on top of filling.
8. Bake in lower third of 425 degrees F oven 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly (if the crust browns too quickly, cover with foil). Remove pie to wire rack to cool.
1. Mix flour, orange rind and salt in medium-size bowl. Using pastry blender, cut margarine (in small pieces) into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Using a fork, gradually stir in ice water until mixture comes together and forms a ball. Shape into disk, about 6 inches in diameter. Divide disk into 2 portions, one-third and two-thirds.