Choose a good quality semisweet chocolate for this cream-topped chocolate pie.
1. Prepare piecrust mix for single-crust pie following package directions, or use your favorite recipe.
2. Roll out crust on floured surface to 12-inch circle. Transfer to 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry, leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; pinch to form stand-up edge; crimp. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Remove plastic wrap; line pastry with aluminum foil, gently easing foil into corners. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
5. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and rice or beans. Bake crust for 10 minutes longer or until golden. Cool completely on wire rack.Prepare Chocolate Filling:
6. Combine sugar, cornstarch, gelatin and salt in heavy, medium-size saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove saucepan from the heat.
7. Stir egg yolks lightly in medium-size bowl. Stir in small amount of milk mixture. Slowy pour yolk mixture back into milk mixture, stirring with wire whisk to prevent lumping. Return saucepan to heat. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until mixture is very thick; do not let boil. Remove saucepan from heat. Add chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted. Pour filling into cooled crust. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the filling is thoroughly chilled.Prepare topping:
8. Combine heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in medium-size bowl. Beat with hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Spoon on top of pie. Scatter chocolate curls over the top of the pie if desired.