With the help of frozen puff pastry anyone can become a pastry chef at home. Make this cranberry and apple tart to showcase your skill or your knack for using off-the-shelf ingredients to make fantastic desserts.
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place pastry on floured work surface. Cut 1-inch strip from each long side. Brush 1-inch border of egg wash along cut sides of sheet. Lay 2 cut strips on top of brushed borders. Place on baking sheet. With fork, prick bottom of pastry all over, 1 inch apart; do not prick borders. Brush entire pastry with egg wash.
3. Bake in 425 degree F oven until nicely browned, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool.
4. In bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, rind, juice and vanilla.
5. In large nonaluminum skillet, bring cider to boiling. Add apple slices; simmer 5 minutes, turning slices over halfway through cooking. Add dried cranberries for last 1 minute of cooking. Remove from heat. With slotted spoon, remove apples and dried cranberries to plate; let cool completely. Reserve cooking juices in skillet.
6. Spread cheese mixture over pastry between borders. Arrange apples and cranberries on top. Brush any remaining skillet juices over apples. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.