Servings: 8 Prep 25 mins Chill 1 hr Bake 425°F 35 mins
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons extra for your work surface
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, divided, and cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 medium apples, peeled and cored
Make It KNEAD IT
1. In a food processor with a blade attachment, mix both flours and 1/2 cup butter. Process until butter is the size of tiny peas. Add water; pulse until dough pulls together. Let your kid form it into a 5-inch disk on a floured surface. Cover; refrigerate for an hour. MAKE A BIG CIRCLE
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a floured surface. Ask your child to roll the dough into a 12-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Help him check the size with a ruler. Put the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. FILL AND FOLD
3. Quarter apples; slice 1/4-inch thick. Ask your kid to mix apples with the cranberries, sugar, and cinnamon and spoon into center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold dough over and dot center with remaining butter. Bake 35 minutes, until crust is golden and fruit bubbles.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 238, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 34, sat. fat (g): 8, carb. (g): 29, Monounsaturated fat (g): 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): 1, fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 14, pro. (g): 2, vit. A (IU): 437, vit. C (mg): 4, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 20, sodium (mg): 2, Potassium (mg): 98, calcium (mg): 10, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.