1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly flour large baking sheet.
2. Press preserves through fine-mesh sieve into small saucepan; cover and set aside.
3. Prepare piecrust mix for 2-crust pie, using 1/3 cup sugar, following package directions.
4. On lightly floured surface, shape piecrust dough into a block. Roll dough out into 12 x 11-inch rectangle. Roll up dough on rolling pin; unroll onto baking sheet.
5. Starting at center of top of rectangle, using tip of small paring knife, lightly outline dough into shape of Christmas tree with stand, making 3 branch indentations, about 1-inch deep on each side of tree. Cut out; reserve trimmings. Using about one-quarter of the trimmings, with hands on floured surface, roll into 22-inch rope. Place rope on one side of tree, following outer edge of tree. Repeat with another quarter of trimmings; attach to other side of tree. Pinch edge of tree together with rope to adhere; with fingers, flute as for piecrust.
6. Gather remaining trimmings. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough. Cut out star with 2-3/8-inch cookie cutter. Cover star with dampened paper toweling.
7. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss apples with lemon juice in bowl. Arrange over tree, overlapping slightly to fill in.
8. Heat preserves just until hot and bubbly. Brush apple slices and star, using half the preserves. Place star on sheet. Sprinkle apples with 1 tablespoon sugar.
9. Bake tart and star in 400 degrees F oven 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden, apples tender. Remove star when golden. If parts of crust brown too quickly, cover with pieces of foil.
10. Brush underside of star with apricot preserves for glue. Place star on top of tree.