1. In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Cover and refrigerate the sauce until serving time.
2. Peel the potatoes and chop them into large chunks. Place them in a large saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Drain them in a colander and let any excess water evapo- rate, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl and mash them until they're smooth. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until well blended.
4. Shape the mixture into patties (we used 2 tablespoons for each, yielding 16). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
5. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil and warm it over medium-high heat. Fry the patties in batches until well browned, about 3 minutes per side, adding more oil as needed. Transfer the patties to the prepared sheet.